Sometimes it is helpful to know about your data and voice connectivity in detail so that you’ll get an accurate picture of what type of network you’re actually connected to, how strong is the receiving signal, where’s the WiFi signal coming from etc. To know all these in your fingertips you just have to download an android app called 3G/4G/LTE/WiFi Coverage Maps or OpenSignal.
This app provides you a map of the cellular coverage, the presently connected and available WiFi hotspots, a simpler interface to test and improve your data connectivity. Here’s few of the features that this app provides:
- Signal compass: When you open the application, the dashboard will show you a compass with red needle pointing in the direction your cellular signal is coming from. The advantage of knowing this is clear. Just walk towards the direction, obviously the signal strength will increase. This is very catchy idea since we all experience signal lose there by call drop occasionally. This unique feature makes this app a must have in your app drawer.
- WiFi map: The WiFi hotspot can be located in map so that you can move towards the point to improve signal strength. It also let you locate publicly available WiFi networks so if your already connected network has poor data connection, you can switch to another network.
- Coverage map: A full spread coverage map will show you the places in your location where you get good coverage.
- Speed Test: You can test you data speed that you’re actually getting so that you can compare these to the advertised rates of your carrier. This is the best method to know if you’re getting value for money.
- Data & Signal stats: This shows your average signal strength, percentage of lost signal times and network type history (shows whether you were in 2G/3G/4G). In addition it will get you the data that you’ve used in the current billing cycle, the time you’ve spared, SMS that you’ve sent etc.
- NetworkRank : This is users rating based ranking helpful if you want to know which carrier is best in your area.
Network Signal Info is one of the most popular network information app. It will provide detailed information over the currently used network, whether WiFi or cellular connection. Unlike the default 5 bar representation, this app differentiate signal strength in 14 bars. It will display phone type (such as GSM, CDMA), network type, network strength in dBm, IP addresses and device IDs.