Tired of transferring files from your friend’s laptop computer to you’rs via copying it first to a pendrive and pasting it on your laptop?. If you’re tired of doing this, you can have a better way to do this without needing additional tools and setups like network cables or routers. The only requirement is that one of your computer should be either running in XP or Windows 7. If this is the scenario, then you can transfer files via creating Wifi Ad Hoc network connection between 2 laptops. In an ad hoc netwok, each node is forwarding data for other nodes and destination nodes are dynamically found based on internet connectivity.
We have almost all our today’s laptops are equipped with a WiFi adapter so that setting up a wireless connection between two or more laptops is easy. In this post I’ll show you how to set-up an ad hoc network to transfer files between two computers.
Create a Wireless ad hoc Network
- On the Windows 7 computer, open control panel >> Network and Sharing Center.
- In the window, click on “Setup a new connection or network”.
- From the new dialog box that pops up, choose ” Setup a wireless ad hoc (computer-to-computer) network.
- Click Next twice and you’ll be prompted to enter the Network name and choose the security profile. Choose any name as you like and, select Security type as WPA2-Personal, Also enter a password that have to entered by other nodes that are trying to connect to this computer. (You can also chose to have an open network, but it not recommended because of security reasons. Your shared files can be accessed by anyone in your premises).
- After all this, click Next and your ad hoc network will become ready to use. In your task bat click on the network notifications, and it will be like this one below.
- In order to connect other computers to your network, they only have to search for a WiFi connection and connect to it by entering the password.
To share files and folders :
To share a file or a folder itself, open windows explorer, browse to your desired location, right click on the folder/file, look down to see Share with>> Homegroup(Read/Write), click on it. Now you’ve shared an item in your computer over the network. The connected nodes can be copied from the folder or written into it.
How to Share an Internet Connection
In order to share a data connection that you’re already connected, right click on it and select Properties. Select sharing tab and put a tic mark on ” Allow other Network Computers to connect through this computer’s internet connection” and click OK.