Since Apple has entered in the budget tablet market with their new little brother of iPad tablet – the iPad mini, whenever people think about buying a tablet in the 20-25K range, they obviously put some attention to Apple. But when we compare the two tablets in hands, I would say there’s nothing wrong in it although the tech specs of Asus Google Nexus 7 blows away its competitor. However the low specs on the iPad Mini doesn’t affects its performance at all. Comparatively low display resolution might seem as a little disadvantage of the light version of Apple iPad but it is never going to be a reason for not to buy ipad mini. Keep in mind that Nexus 7 runs on Android GB 4.2 while ipad mini runs on iOS 6.0.
In this quick comparison, I look for people who are standing confused by the Apple brand quality Vs Google Nexus 7 functionality. Anyway I must say that if you already used to apple devices and feels okey with it, the no need to read this thread as iPad Mini is the better choice for you because you’re already an Apple lover. Let me state some points which is true for an Apple iPad:
Why you Should not buy an iPad Mini
- There’s no SD card/Flash memory Support: All you have is the inbuilt 16GB/32GB/64GB internal memory to use. Note that you can even plug a normal pendrive/USB flash drive into it.
- If you’re an Android lover and already experienced the freedom with the file system, you’ll feel suffocated as Apple devices are very restricted. Every transfer of files such as music, videos etc require iTunes application and thus a computer. Also files that will not be supported by iPad cannot be transferred.
- Some video files and certain avi files cannot be played unless it is converted to iPad compatible format.
- Even though the device has Bluetooth v4.0 connectivity, the file transfer is only between Apple devices. Generally its good for no use.
- You can send only one attachment at a time in a email except photo and videos.
- Unlike Android most of the apps in the iTunes are of good quality and thus most of them are not free. For example, if you need to open/edit MS office word files you’ll required to buy supporting softwares.
If you’re already aware of these facts, then you’re free to move. Neglecting the above problems, the iPad mini is really a steal for this price. You can see the below comparison points to make a decision on which one to buy, Apple iPad Mini or Asus Google Nexus 7.
1. Overall Quality
All apple products posses very fine build quality and Nexus 7 is not even near. Also it is 30 grams lighter than Nexus 7 which increases the portability. The aluminium finish give iPad mini a premium look but I fear if don’t use a cover, the backside will get scratches.
The Nexus 7 tablet sports a 7 inch back-lit IPS display with scratch-resistant corning glass. It possesses a resolution of 1280 x 800 pixels. On comparison, Apple has got an 8 inch IPS panel with 1024×768 resolution with 163 ppi pixel density (Surely not the retina display) for you’ll feel a little let down. But the display is of good quality and the colour reproduction and contrast is excellent.
3. Processing Power
The New Nexus 7 is powered with a NVIDIA Tegra 3 Quad Core processor with 1GB DDR3 RAM which is definitely more capable than the A5 chip of iPad mini with 512 MB RAM. What’s surprising is that, the iPad mini never slows down or lacks smoothness due to the small amount of RAM. It performs somehow faster than Nexus 7 especially you’ll fell it while gaming.
When it comes to pricing Apple obviously hits on the top with a price tag of ₹21990 for the base end model (6GB iPad Mini with Wi-Fi only) . For Asus Google Nexus 7, the price starts from ₹9990 for the base model (16 GB WiFi only).